Here in Stockholm, the nights are getting so long that we’ve all long forgotten what the sun looks like. It’s square, right? Anyway, at least navigating Minecraft at night should be easier now we’ve added lanterns!
A full summary of the content available in this snapshot can be found in the changelog on Minecraft.net, the following is a short summary:
- Added the lantern
- Improved Pillager AI
- Changes to Illager Patrols
- Increased the distance scaffolding can extend before it falls
Wait?! What? Another new block!?
- The lantern is a new light source
- The lantern can be placed either hanging under a block or on top of a block
- It gives slightly more light than the torch
- Now spawns in the world as a pack of 5 random illagers
- Removed the “Illager Beast” from patrols
- Added support for directional opacity of blocks (used by slabs, stairs, snow layers, non-full-block dirt-related blocks and extended piston base blocks)
- Removed option to turn off VBO in the game settings. VBO are now always used.
To get snapshots, open your launcher and go to the “launch options” tab. Check the box saying “Enable snapshots” and save. To switch between the snapshot and normal version, you can find a new dropdown menu next to the “Play” button. Back up your world first or run the game on in a different folder (In the “launch options” page).
Please report any and all bugs you find in Minecraft to bugs.mojang.com.
Snapshots can corrupt your world, please backup and/or run them in a different folder from your main worlds.
Share your thoughts on how 1.14 is shaping up in the comments below!